🔥Fine Arts - Music 1020: History of Rock 'N Roll🔥

To satisfy the Fine Arts requirement, I enrolled in MUSC 1020: History of Rock and Roll in the Spring Semester of 2017. Why I signed up for this course instead of any other Fine Arts course was that I wanted to learn about the roots of Rock 'n Roll music, and to learn about all the different genres that were born out of the said genre. At the beginning of the course, I thought it would start out with more modern styles such as Early Rock and Roll or Rockabilly. So, I was pleasantly surprised when we started out with the blues and slave songs at first, since I had already listened to blues artists such as Leadbelly and Son House. Over time, I realized that we probably would not have enough time to go over Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, Hardcore Punk, or Batcave (Goth) music, which was a bit of a letdown, but I was just glad that we covered psychedelic rock since it's my favorite genre. The most challenging aspect of the course was making sure that I made time to go to a concert during the semester to write about for my concert report paper, which I included below as my ePortfolio project.

Signature Assignment: Motown Concert Report Paper

Reflection

Through this assignment I was able to evaluate and synthesize what I had learned about in class about melisma, tempo, quality of singing and quality of the instrumentation. It was an excellent assignment for making sure that I could recognize style features of music in a real life environment, such as a musical concert. The approach I decided to take was to watch and enjoy the performance while I was there and to start writing my paper as soon as I could after the concert, so I would remember most of the crucial information about the show. What I learned from the assignment was that music definitely sounds different live compared to listening to it on a recording that may be highly produced and overdubbed. I also learned that Motown and Soul really are cool genres of music to hear played live, and that it is very easy to start dancing to these genres of music. 

Concepts I had learned from previous courses that added to my understanding and appreciation of the concert was the whole civil rights and black power movement from the 1960s portion of History 1700: American Civilizations, which I took in the fall semester of 2016. Why my knowledge of the civil rights era added to my appreciation of the concert, was that some of the songs related and were originally made in the same time frame that African-American people were demanding their rights, and to receive equal treatment in society and in the courts, which was reflected in the songs written and performed in the 1960s and 1970s. Additionally, it allowed me to have a basic knowledge of why Motown and Soul are such important genres of music. Overall, I am glad that I went to the Changing Lanes Experience concert over any other available one, and that it allowed me to utilize my knowledge of style features of Motown and Soul in real life.