Composition - English 2010: Intermediate Writing

To satisfy the English 2010 General Education requirement, I took James Beatty's course in the Spring Semester of 2018. Initially, my only reason for enrolling in the class was the fact that it was one of the general education requirements for an Associate's degree. However, as I continued in the semester, I began to notice how much the course was facilitating my progress in becoming a better writer and that I was developing the ability to think more critically about ideas and events going on around me. English 2010 also assisted me in my other General Education courses, since being a skilled and concise writer is crucial on papers, and essays in every class, regardless of whether it is stated directly or not. Challenges I faced in this course were making sure that I finished all of the assignments on time, and to the best of my ability through editing and revising my drafts until I was content with the results.

Signature Assignment

For the English 2010 course, I am including the open letter I did to my social anxiety disorder appropriately titled "Open Letter to My Social Anxiety Disorder." I chose this assignment from the course because it was very cathartic and healing to describe my disorder and the pain it has caused me and to talk back to it in an assertive way. I also specifically chose it, because it was the work I was most proud of from the course and it took real courage to disclose my disorder to everyone in the class when it would've been easier to pretend that it doesn't exist or to avoid talking about it in such a direct way. I also was unsure of how people would react to me being mentally ill and writing about it, and if they could even relate to what I had written in the open letter since they most likely do not struggle with this disorder, nor directly know anyone with a mental disorder of this kind. Needless to say, describing it in depth was crucial to making it accessible to my peers in the class and to anyone that has never heard of a social anxiety disorder. So that they could fully understand how it affects me, and how necessary receiving professional help is in order to recover from a mental health problem.

An Open Letter to My Social Anxiety Disorder (clickable pdf file link)